Fangoria Blood Drive (2004)

 Fangoria Blood Drive (2004)

So this next film is a compilation film comprised of horror short films, that Fangoria magazine awarded the best of their category for that year, from the submissions that they received.  These are very low budget independent horror films, so if you are a fan of student films, or films made by aspiring filmmakers, then you might enjoy this, if your tastes are more towards the refined professional films, then you will likely not enjoy this.  Some of the films were quite good, and some were quite interesting.   I am not going to go into a lot of detail for this, because I will be honest there isn't a lot of information out there, also I somehow acquired a promotional copy of the film that didn't include the special features, nor did it have the Rob Zombie hosting the film, the copy I have is one that is not for resale, but for promotional use only.  So I do think if you can get your hands on the version released for the general public, that you might enjoy it a bit more, because of those cool extras that it comes with.  Also you won't have the "For Promotional Use Only, Not For Resale" warning across the top of the screen periodically throughout.   

So the films are:
The Hitch: created by Drew Rist and winner of Palme d'Gore.
A Man And His Finger: created by Patrick Rea and Ryan Jones  and winner of Best Comedy
Inside: created by Christopher P Garetano winner of Best Avant Garde Horror.
Shadows Of The Dead: created by Joel Robertson winner of Best Editing.
Mr. Eryams: created by B.C. Furtney winner of Best Film
Disturbances: created by Patrick Rea winner of Most Frightening
Song Of The Dead: created by Joel Robertson winner of Best Musical.

For me some of the films stood out more than others, I really loved A Man And His Finger, which is a film without any actual dialogue, but is this odd comedic short film about a man who cuts off his finger and befriends his severed finger.   Song Of The Dead was great, and I feel almost like it is a great proposal for a longer film or television show, about singing zombies, it is funny and really well done in a comedic way.   I also quite liked Mr.Eryams, I appreciated the twist ending, for being a short it had some interesting elements that make the story much deeper than it actually is.  To me Inside and Shadows Of The Dead, and Disturbances pretty forgettable.  The Hitch I feel has an interesting concept, though I feel like the actual execution of the concept could have been done better, it had some of the worst acting, and quite a bit of dialogue compared to some of the other films.   

This is a collection of films that is definitely for fans of independent horror films, specifically independent filmmakers.  I tend to enjoy student films, and low budget horror films.  I often times will find my self enjoying a film if the film feels like some friends with some basic filming equipment and an idea head out into the woods and make a horror film together, I like that vibe, and a few of these films give off that feel, which I relished.   So not for everyone, but for those of us who are into this kind of thing, it is a great addition to our collection.  Overall it is an enjoyable collection of no budget horror films, and some wonderful concepts and ideas.  

Also sadly I couldn't find a preview of any type to include in this review. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Quiet Place 2 (2021)

Pete's Dragon (1977)

The Raven (1963)