The Haunting (1999)

 The Haunting (1999)


One of the greatest haunted house films of all-time, had become a cult classic, and as with many cult classics modern day filmmakers look to cash in on, or improve upon that classic, and The Haunting from 1963, based on Shirley Jackson's 1959 novel The Haunting Of Hill House was no exception.  The steps of The Haunting being remade had their roots with acclaimed horror writer Stephen King who had approached Steven Spielberg about doing a remake of the Haunting, but they ended up parting ways because of creative differences on the film, in the meantime Jan de Bont, the director of films such as Twister and Speed wanted to do a haunted house film and found that the rights to The Haunting were open, and he obtained the rights for doing a remake.   I remember seeing this film in the theaters, my senior year of highschool, and I remember it being a lot of fun, and I also bought a copy as soon as it was released on VHS, this is a film that I have rewatched many times over the years, and one that I have always really enjoyed.  I was a little surprised when I learned that this film had received mostly negative reviews, and that it holds a very very low score on Rotten Tomatoes.   So I want to explore why The Haunting does and doesn't work, and why many critics view it so negatively, and really analyze my own feelings on the film.

The Haunting was directed by Jan de Bont, with a screenplay by David Self and Michael Tolkin.   The film was distributed by Dreamworks Pictures and was quite successful in the box office, grossing $180.2 million against its budget of $80 million.   Though the film was viewed negatively by the critics, many siting a weak screenplay and an overuse of CGI effects.   The film definitely infuses much more action than the original had, and it includes a lot of special effects, making the film more of a supernatural action horror film, rather than the supernatural psychological horror film that the original was.   

The Haunting features a very small cast, starring Lili Taylor as Eleanor "Nell" Vance, Catherine Zeta-Jones as Theodora "Theo", Owen Wilson as Luke Sanderson, and Liam Neeson as Doctor David Marrow (which was changed from the name in the original film).   I also loved Bruce Dern as Mr Dudley, I have always really liked him as an actor.  The role of Luke was drastically changed from the original film, and it almost seems like the role was written for Owen Wilson, with his awkward humour and mannerisms.   Lili Taylor was perfectly cast for Nell, everything from her mannerisms to her looks remind me of Julie Harris as Nell in the original film.  I also really enjoyed Catherine Zeta-Jones as Theo, though her character was modified a bit, as she was made openly bi-sexual rather than as a lesbian as she was in the original film, and she plays that role so wonderfully, and definitely brings the same exotic sexiness to the role that Claire Bloom brought to it in 1963.  I will say though that I do like that Nell is more accepting of Theo being bi, than she was of Theo being a lesbian in the original film, she doesn't go on a rant about how she's unnatural at least, which is refreshing.  Though in this film, it didn't seem like Theo was attracted to Nell like she was in the original, also there isn't the feeling that Nell had fallen for Dr Marrow as the character did with the doctor in the original film, which then also removes the subplot of Theo becoming jealous over Nell going for the doctor instead of her.  The character of the Doctor's wife is also completely removed from this version, and thus the ending is changed drastically.  There is no romantic subplots, and this version of the film has one of the characters dying, who didn't die in the original.  So there are enough similarities, but differences to make the film seem familiar but different.  I do feel that the casting was perfect, and that the actors were all excellent at bringing their characters to life.   I also just want to say that Liam Neeson is great as usual, he just has this amazing voice, that I love to listen to. 

Even after analyzing the film more, I can still say that I really enjoy this film, and though I agree that there is a lot of CGI in the film, there is also a lot of amazing practical effects as well, and for the most part the two styles of effects are blended together really well.  There are a few parts that the CGI looks a bit cartoony, which would often times bother me, but I think it somehow works for this film.  I, who usually am quite critical of CGI, actually found myself really enjoying the special effects, and though that they were quite beautifully done, and I feel that visually, this is a stunning film, and very well done.   I do partially agree with the screenplay being a bit lacking, but I feel as a haunted house film, I feel that it works.  The film has a quick pacing that keeps it from ever getting slow or dull, and the action keeps coming.  I think that for the way the film plays out I feel like the screenplay works, and is effective.  I like that there are enough interesting changes to keep the film interesting, and it brings in some cool story elements that were not in the original film, but at the same time, there are a lot of things that are familiar and it feels like sitting down with an old friend that you haven't seen in quite some time, and thought they are familiar, there is a lot that is new with them.   So I think overall the film works, and I would say that it is a pretty great haunted house film, and one that I often find myself returning to. 

I have always been curious about whether the house from The Haunting was a real-life house, and I guess I always kind of assumed it was based on Castle Hill on the Crane Estate near Ipswich Massachusetts, which makes sense, with the name of the house being the Hill House, and that the man who built it having the name of Hugh Crain.  However according the Shirley Jackson, Hill House is actually based on the Winchester Mystery House in San Jose California.   The Winchester of course is a house that has found its way into many films, as either the subject of the film, or as a major inspiration for the film.   So I guess if you are like me and have always wondered if the Hill House was based on a real place, the answer is yes, but it based on a house in California rather than in Massachusetts.  However the manor used in the 1999 film was in fact, Harlaxton Manor in Harlaxton, Lincolnshire England, though most of the interiors were shot on a soundstage created at a hanger in Long Beach California.  The Billiards room, however was shot at the Harlaxton Manor, and the kitchen scenes were shot at Belvoir Castle in Leicestershire England.

I don't know if I love this film because it holds a nostalgic place in my heart, and the remembrance of a wonderful date I had with a girlfriend at the time, and just overall great memories surrounding it, or if it actually a great film, that the critics are just wrong about.  My advice is check it out yourself, and see what you think of it.  I think it is a great, exciting, and fun haunted house film, and though maybe not as amazing as the original, or really even as great as Stephen King's version (Rose Red), but I do still think that it is a great film, with great and terrifying special effects.  Sure sometimes the "ghosts" look like they would be more at home in Casper The Friendly Ghost, but I think that it still somehow works for the scenes, since the "ghosts" are supposed to be the ghosts of children.  I also like some of the plot changes made from the original, because it creates this compelling story about the reason that the house is calling out for Nell.   So if you have not yet seen this film, I do recommend checking it out. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Quiet Place 2 (2021)

Pete's Dragon (1977)

The Raven (1963)